Online gambling is a fun way to enjoy yourself online and potentially win real cash. For a long time, certain states such as Nevada were the only place you could gamble, and online gambling was heavily restricted. However, recent changes to the law now mean that players in lots of states around the country can experience online gambling.
New Jersey recently legalized online gambling back in 2013. Whether you’re looking for sportsbooks or legal online new jersey casinos, you can now get online and win real money by placing wagers on games or sports. There are still restrictions, though, and you’ll also need to know how to pick a good casino or sportsbook. See our guide below for more details.
New Jersey Online Gambling Restrictions
Although online gambling is now legal across NJ, there are still laws about how and where you can gamble. These restrictions are in place to protect players and make sure that people can have fun without worrying about scams or other issues.
- Age limit – First of all, all players who are signing up to use an online gambling site in New Jersey must be at least 21 years old.
- Location – To enjoy New Jersey gambling sites, you don’t actually need to be an NJ resident. You do need to currently be in New Jersey though. It doesn’t matter if you’re living here or just visiting. All sites will check your location to make sure you’re within the state.
- Know Your Customer – Every online gambling platform in New Jersey must perform a Know Your Customer (KYC) check on anyone who signs up. This is to verify your ID and to make sure you’re not a minor.
- License – To help protect players, the state of New Jersey established the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement. All online casinos and sportsbooks need to have a license from this organization to operate legally within the state.
The New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement
The New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement is a state-run organization that keeps players safe when gambling online, and all online gambling sites must have a license before accepting players from NJ.
The NJDGE makes sure that gambling sites are fair and that players are safe when using the site. They also help promote responsible gambling, and if you want to be on the self-exclusion list, you can through their website. This will prevent you from signing up for any online gambling site.
Finding a Good Online Gambling Site in New Jersey
Before you start gambling online, you’ll first want to choose a good site. Whether you’re looking for an online casino or an online sportsbook, there are a few things to look out for when choosing a good site.
- Banking Options – All good online gambling sites should make it as easy as possible for you to make deposits and withdrawals. There should be a range of different banking options available for you to use, and moving money to and from your account should be quick and simple.
- Safety – When you’re gambling online, you’re risking real money, so you want to make sure that any site you choose is safe to use. Your cash should be protected when in your account, and if you enter your personal details, it should be kept safe. Check that the site uses encryption and make sure your account details are secure.
- Games/Odds – The quality of the games or odds are what makes a gambling site appealing. Make sure that you can find the games you like to play or the sports you like to bet on. You should also check out other sites to see how the variety and quality of games and betting markets compare.
Customer Support – Finally, you should also make sure that the site has a good customer service team and that if you have any issues, the site will deal with them quickly.