Name Jason Schondelmyer
Position HFC/Strength Coach
School Arcanum High School
My first coaching job was in 1993 at Northmont Middle School
2 How long have you been the head coach at Arcanum?
A total of 11 years
3) As a fan and a person who covers high school football I love the Thursday Night Games. As a coach how do you feel about them?
A simple answer would be I love it! Anytime you can promote High School Football in one of the greatest states to play football I think it’s a great thing!
4) What offense do you think is the hardest to prepare for?
I would say option offense is still difficult because it actually takes some of your defenders away from the ball. It also requires a high level of self-discipline.
5) How important is it for the JV team along with the lower level teams to run the same offense and defense as the varsity?
I think more importantly is teaching the lower groups the basic fundamentals required for football so we can build on them. Also, I think having the same terminology is very important throughout your program.
6) Staying with the JV and lower-level teams theme. Is it important for all of them to play as many games as allowed by the state? I ask this because I see so many JV and lower-level teams play just a few games?
It’s important to play as many games as you can and still remain healthy as well as maintain some sort of team depth. Also, just giving those guys an opportunity to play is huge for them. We play as much as possible.
7) With the exception of Georgia, the kicking game seems too weak overall in all the states I have been to. What has to happen to change this especially here in Ohio?
More focus by coaches would certainly help, sharing of athletes from other coaches would help as well. If you want a great kicker it’s a great idea to find someone with a “futbol” background. Lol
8) Where do you believe the state finals should be played and why?
I understand the beauty of Canton/Massillon I really do, but personally, I believe it should be in Columbus. I just think it helps with travel, and besides OSU is where many of our student-athletes dream of playing one day.
9) The price for a ticket for a high school football game in Ohio can cost more than a ticket to some division three college games. Do you think the ticket prices are making it hard for families to come to the game?
I think we have to be careful about how far we want to go. I really believe it’s not a good idea if it becomes a financial burden for families.
10) Who is the best player you have ever coached against?
Great question. I’ve coached a lot of great players including Malik Zaire, Chris Finke, Nick Coleman, and many more but the one that standouts recently is Jerome Baker. He kept us from winning a State Championship when I was coaching at Alter High School.
If you enjoy hearing from the legends of pro sports, then be sure to tune into “The Grueling Truth” sports shows, “Where the legends speak”
Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Players must be 21 years of age or older or reach the minimum age for gambling in their respective state and located in jurisdictions where online gambling is legal. Please play responsibly. Bet with your head, not over it. If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, and wants help, call or visit: (a) the Council on Compulsive Gambling of New Jersey at 1-800-Gambler or www.800gambler.org; or (b) Gamblers Anonymous at 855-2-CALL-GA or www.gamblersanonymous.org.
This site is using Cloudflare and adheres to the Google Safe Browsing Program. We adapted Google's Privacy Guidelines to keep your data safe at all times.