Publish Date: 06/19/2022
Fact checked by: Mike Goodpaster
On Saturday, the Miami Marlins defeated Jacob Stallings in salary arbitration. As a result of the decision, the catcher will receive $2.45 million this season instead of his $3.1 million requests. Check out the best bookmakers for betting on Baseball!
The verdict gave the teams a 9-3 advantage, with just two cases remaining to be reviewed the following week, involving the outfielder for the New York Yankees, Aaron Judge, and the left-handed pitcher for the Atlanta Braves, Max Fried.
A day after hearing arguments, Richard McNeill, Gary Klendellen, and Fredric Horowitz came to a decision on Stallings.
Stallings was traded to Miami in December. He hit.246 for the Pittsburgh Pirates last year, with career highs of eight home runs and 53 RBIs, earning $1.3 million. He had a.199 average, two home runs, and 21 RBIs entering Saturday.
Stallings was happy about joining the Marlins and was excited about the offseason deal that brought him to the team. The Marlins had a 28-34 before their game against the New York Mets on Saturday.
“I never thought that I would be [the centerpiece of a trade], even to this day,” Stallings said after the deal.
“I’ve said this before, but I heard Derek Jeter say it, I think, in his Hall of Fame speech. He said, ‘When you’re playing, you’re really only concerned with keeping a job and getting a job.’”
“Just trying to keep a job, stay in the big leagues and reach my potential, and just try to get better and be as good as I can be,” Stallings said, explaining his current aim. “So that’s really my focus and always has been throughout my journey.”
On Friday, Kansas City infielder Nicky Lopez lost his salary arbitration battle with the Royals and will receive $2.55 million instead of his $2.9 million requests, clinching management’s third consecutive winning season. With only three cases pending, the teams lead 8-3.
The ruling was made by Melinda Gordon, Scott Buccheit, and John Woods on Friday, a day after hearing arguments.
Last season, Lopez had a career-high of .300 average and 22 stolen bases in 23 attempts while hitting two home runs and raking in 43 RBIs. He was paid $597,500 and qualified for arbitration for the first time. This season, the 27-year-old shortstop and second baseman is hitting.214 with five RBIs and four steals.
Other than contract and wage comparisons, no data or proof from after March 1 is acceptable. The date was set when MLB and the players’ union agreed to resolve the dispute.
Among those who lost in earlier decisions include Atlanta outfielder Adam Duvall ($9,275,000), Braves third baseman Austin Riley ($3.95 million), and injured Atlanta reliever Luke Jackson ($3.6 million).
In addition, there were also St. Louis outfielder Tyler O’Neill ($3.4 million), Miami right-hander Pablo López ($2.45 million), Milwaukee right-hander Adrian Houser ($2,425,000), and Cincinnati pitcher Lucas Sims ($1.2 million).
Shortstop Dansby Swanson of Atlanta, second baseman/outfielder Adam Frazier of Seattle, and outfielder Andrew Benintendi of Kansas City were the lucky winners, each receiving $10 million, $8 million, and $8.5 million, respectively.
Hearings for arbitration are typically held during the first three weeks of February. However, due to the lockout, these hearings were postponed.