31) Arizona Coyotes – Minus-49 goal differential: atrocious.
30) Buffalo Sabres – Minus-43 goal differential, not quite as horrendous as Arizona, but if that’s where we’re setting the bar…
29) Ottawa Senators – Ottawa’s season has gone from bad to Buffalo.
28) Detroit Red Wings – Fallin’ for Dahlin.
27) Colorado Avalanche – Four points out of a playoff spot, but it feels like more than that for some reason.
26) Florida Panthers – Roberto Luongo looks great, so there’s that.
25) Philadelphia Flyers –The ship is starting to sink as Philly sits six points out of the Wild Card and eight points out of the third Atlantic spot.
24) Edmonton Oilers – Only Arizona sits behind Edmonton in the Western Conference standings. That’s how things are going.
23) Vancouver Canucks – Filed under: “Should Be Fallin’ For Dahlin”.
22) Minnesota Wild – Early struggles aside, Minnesota’s pushing hard for a playoff spot.
21) Chicago Blackhawks – Treading water, but slowly losing ground in the Wild Card race.
20) Montreal Canadiens – The Habs just keep on sliding.
19) Anaheim Ducks – Finally healthy (outside of Corey Perry), Anaheim still struggles to close out games.
18) Calgary Flames – Underlying numbers are great, but a playoff spot would probably sound greater to most Flames fans.
17) Pittsburgh Penguins – Kris Letang looks terrible, while this team continues to play sub-par hockey.
16) Los Angeles Kings – LA’s still great, but some risers are nudging them out of the top half for now.
15) Dallas Stars – Lots to like in Dallas…outside of Ben Bishop’s save percentage.
14) San Jose Sharks –Sharks still getting it done in the regular season.
13) Carolina Hurricanes – Now on the cusp of the playoffs, the ‘Canes look primed to break through.
12) New Jersey Devils – Seemingly not fading any time soon, New Jersey now sits atop the Metropolitan division.
11) New York Rangers – Rangers suddenly pushing Columbus in the standings.
10) New York Islanders – This team is scary talented, even if they’re battling for a Wild Card spot.
9) Boston Bruins – Bruce Cassidy’s team looks as good as ever having won seven of their last 10 games.
8) Washington Capitals – Third in the East, and Ovechkin looks dominant? That’s a scary combination for the rest of the league.
7) Nashville Predators – Nashville looks poised to return to the Stanley Cup Final.
6) Columbus Blue Jackets –Joh Tortorella sure seems to think this team is struggling, but they’re still a legitimate Cup threat.
5) Vegas Golden Knights – Everyone saw these guys leading the conference at some point, right?
4) Toronto Maple Leafs – Nothing to see here, just some of the most exciting young players in the game.
3) St. Louis Blues – Offensive depth starting to become a concern, but that won’t truly be an issue until the post-season.
2) Winnipeg Jets – Connor Hellebuyck looks like the real deal in net. That’s huge for Winnipeg, who has no trouble putting the puck in the net at the other end of the ice.
1) Tamp Bay Lightning – Tampa Bay’s goal differential is a monstrous plus-48. The next closest teams? Vegas and LA at plus-23. That’s how much better Steven Stamkos and company have been than just about anyone else in the NHL.
Download The Grueling Truth app in the iTunes store!